So you've started your ketogenic diet and your friends and you come to Starbucks, and your mind races with “which keto starbucks drinks can I have?”.
This is the page with your keto starbucks choices!
With our handy Starbucks for keto report you are now reading, you can simply pick something from the keto drinks and no one will be the wiser that you are on some specialty diet.
But what beverages at Starbucks will keep you in ketosis and provide a low carb serving besides black coffee?
For breakfast foods, you've got only this item:
- Sous Vide Egg Bites: Bacon & Gruyere (9 Net Carbs)
Like Subway's, most all of the food at Starbucks is based on bread or pastry, so it is near impossible to get a meal that is low carb at Starbucks unless you pull off the english muffin or bagel, or whatever else bread the food item comes with.
Even the beloved cake balls are, of course, cake, so off limits to keto.
Keto Starbucks Drinks
For beverages, you have a lot of keto starbucks options, starting with the zero carb options and going through the low carb keto items:
- Brewed Tea – 0 Carbs, including ice tea
- Iced Coffee -all sizes 0 Carbs (no sweeteners except stevia)
- Fresh Filter Coffee 0 Carbs
- Green Tea 0 Net Carbs and most any tea bags
- Espresso 1g Net Carb per shot (a nice low carb coffee drink)
- Espresso Con Panna 1.7 g per shot
- Espresso Macchiato 1.2 to 2.4 g Net Carbs (soy, skim milk, whole milk)
- Cafe Americano – 1g Net Carb per size (4g for Vente)
- Cappucino with Skimmed Milk 7.5 to 16.2 g Net Carbs (size and milk type)
- Short Cafe Latte w/ Skimmed Milk – 9.9 g Net Carbs
- Tall Cafe Latte Soy – 9.8 g Carbs
- Caffe Misto / Cafe Au Lait 5.0 to 13.0 g Carbs (Soy, Skimmed Milk, Semi Skimmed Milk and Whole Milk)
- Iced Caffe Latte Tall with Skimmed Milk – 10 g et Carbs
- Iced Caffe Latte Soy Tall – 7 g carbohydrates
- Steamed Skimmed Milk Short – 10.2 g carbohydrates
- Steamed Semi Skimmed Milk Short – 9.6 g digestible carbohydrates
You can add heavy whipping cream as a topping to these beverages and have no additional carbs while on your keto diet.
Keto Starbucks Drinks To Avoid
When ordering at Starbucks, be sure to avoid all Iced Caffe Latte drinks, all iced Caffe Mocha drinks, as well as the iced caramel macchiato and iced Tazo Chai Tea Latte as they all have well beyond 20 carbs each.
The same advice goes for iced vanilla latte and iced Hazelnut Mocha with Whipped Cream – not good for keto. Even the Espresso drinks are too high in carbs. Frappuccino light blended coffee is also off limits.
Low Carb Starbucks Coffee Drink Add-Ins
The following add-ins for the beverages and the carbs you add:
- Whipped Cream Topping 1 to 3 grams carbs (Grande to Vente)
- Flavoured Syrup 5 Grams net carb per pump
- Flavoured Sugar Free Syrup 0 carbs
- Bar Mocha Syrup 6.4 grams for one pump
- Chocolate Topping 1.5 g carbohydrates
- Caramel Topping 2.5g net carbs
- Sprinkles Topping 1.0g net carbs
- Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup, 0 net carbs
- Almond Milk, where available, 0 net carbs.
Steamed milk actually has quite a few carbs, so keep it to 4 oz or less if you need that in your coffee. If you can handle it, try flat white coconut milk with zero carbohydrates – it's great tasting and keto approved.
Looking for other Low Carb Restaurant Ideas?
For those busy days when you need to sit and work with wifi available, there's nothing better than finding a keto drink at Starbucks, an empty seat, and the ability to get down to work.
With this handy list of low carb Starbucks options, you can pick and choose between them, find a beverage that's good for that time of the day, and settle in knowing you are keeing your ketones high and getting some work done.
Since many locations are saturated with Starbucks locations, you can often find one in any big urban area you find yourself in. The only place in America where I have found Starbucks to be a treasure hunt is the southern tip of Florida outside of Miami, like heading to Legoland in Florida – be sure to get your Starbucks a few hours before you head out that way.
Find the complete nutritional list of Starbuck menu items here.
Have you tried low carb ice cream?
If you find our keto Starbucks drinks report useful, leave a comment and a like below, and be sure to save us to your phone for easy access (on iPhone, share to “Notes” is my favorite way to find things). Don't be shy to reach out and tell us other tips and tricks, or to share how we saved the day for you.